[OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:21:57 -0700
Daniel Sepke wrote:
> Moose, Chuck, Jeff & Adam
>
> Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I was hoping one of you would
> make a suggestion as I respect each of your opinions highly. It is great to
> hear from all of you.
>
> Adding a reference white card will definitely be my next step. I had kind of
> forgotten the WhiteBal since it came up a while back. It occurs to me that
> the technique was basically what I was doing with my last round of test
> images (the subject was wearing a white shirt). Sometime the solution is
> right in front of you and you can't see it!

But don't let it fool you. White shirts aren't. Worse than that, I
believe some detergents may make them fluoresce under flash
illumination, so what the camera sees may be different than what you
see.. And when shooting lots of folks, the shirts will surely differ in
tone.

Products like the WhiBal, the other one you put over the lens, the name
of which escapes me, and others, are tested and calibrated to be true white.
> Thanks also for the lighting setup tips. In the studio setups I was working
> totally by flash with local ambient lighting off and window blinds drawn to
> avoid them introducing problems. This week I am in the latter stages of
> doing the informal outside shoots for this project, applying my learning on
> how to fill flash at the same time (chimping as much as metering to get the
> balances right). Adding the WhiteBal to these sessions should be of great
> help too.

Oh yes! Particularly as people will expect to have about the same
complexion inside and out.
> As far as profiling goes I will have to speak with MPIX about their side of
> things but I will be adding an Eye-one puck to my system next week to help
> get my viewing conditions under better control. Since this is only the start
> of me doing this for hire I determined I would use an outside lab for
> printing rather than try and print at home. My anticipated volume is not
> super high but it adds up, this last week I have taken somewhere just north
> of 2000 shots in both formal and informal poses for a group of around 350
> people. Great exercise for my E-1 and me!
>
> Anyway thanks again for all your suggestions and advice.

Best of luck with he gig. I hope it leads to more work and success.