[OM] Re: Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236

Subject: [OM] Re: Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:00:17 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
>  The technique of pointing it
>
>> towards the camera seems to me to be equally simplistic.
>>
> But that is exactly the point. It IS simplistic, as thedome does all the
> work, or thinking.

It's never wise to step into a schoolyard "is too!" - "is not!", but I'm
not claiming wisdom.

 From pp 18 of the manual for the Kodak Guardian PR-1 exposure meter,
titled "Methods of taking Incident Light Readings":

"Usual method.
Hold the meter at the center of interest of the subject and aim it
toward the camera.

In case the subject is inaccessible, the incident light may be measured
from another place where the illumination is judged to be the same,
remembering that the direction of aiming the meter is always toward the
camera or in a parallel direction.

Key-light method
In some cases is is desirable to measure incident light by pinting the
meter with the incident-light attachment in place toward the "key" or
main light source instead of toward the camera.

Hold the meter as close to the subject a possible or in a place where
the light is the same. Aim toward the key light source and increase the
indicated exposure by one f-stop.."

The "Usual Method" instructions are accompanied by an illustration which
is a photo with line drawings of a camera (folder with bellows, wire
frame finder!) and the meter. The "Key-light Method" illustration shows
a portrait setup with a single light on a stand, above and to the side
of the camera. The next page shows how to measure the lighting ration
between main and fill light.

Moose