[OM] Re: lipstick on a pig?

Subject: [OM] Re: lipstick on a pig?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:01:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> Now that I have a competent dSLR (E-500), two lenses, and a flash, I've
> started looking for other lenses. I love wide angles, so I looked at the
> Olympus 7-14mm lens for this camera.
>
> Do you want to know what it costs? Do you really want to know? It's $1640.
>
> No, that leading 1 isn't a typo. It really costs that much.
>
> Olympus claims this lens has the world's first molded-aspheric element using
> ED glass. That's great. But it's a lens for a
> not-really-professional-but-wanting-to-look-like-one camera, whose sensor is
> 1/4 the area of a frame of 35mm film. Shouldn't it cost a lot _less_ than a
> comparable 35mm lens?
>
> I checked Adorama's listing for Canon digital-specific lenses for their
> APS-C sensor cameras. The comparable lens, a 10-22mm zoom, is $690. Not
> $1690 -- $690. The closest 35mm lens is the Canon 16-35mm, for $1400.

The 7-14mm is a pro-grade lens and clearly isn't targeted to the E-500
market.  You really have to use this lens to appreciate both its image
qualities and build quality.  Olympus went all out with this lens and it
really shows.  The Canon 10-22mm isn't in the same league, look at the
Canon 14mm L lens for a better comparision.  That lens is about the same
price as the Olympus 7-14mm.  Olympus is clearly missing a consumer grade
ultra-wide lens in the lens line up.  Maybe eventually they'll come up
with something to address that but for now the 11-22mm is the closest
you'll get.
                                                -mark