[OM] Re: Magnum pro with Oly gear

Subject: [OM] Re: Magnum pro with Oly gear
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:52:59 +0100
Thank you Andrew, this is a great article!

I would add two personal comments:

First, this for me seems to provide another evidence that many of
those endless, out-of-context explorations about the 'best' equipment,
lenses etc, as we find them everywhere, are just a sterile fixation.
It's usually driven by the anxieties of the main limitation behind a
camera (i.e. the photographer), as well as the highly consumerist
culture of our times, which means that the producing companies surnive
by constantly manufucturing and targeting new needs/anxieties.

Second, the legendary Magnum has traditionally emphasised the
wide-angle effects and the pursuit of the strongest impact or
impression as much as possible, with the use for example of very high
contrast, packed large frames, distortion etc. This follows from its
photojournalistic commercial side which often classes and dominates
over its theoretically alternative desire to accomodate more artistic
work as well.

I'd say that the results that Alex Majoli gets from the p&s cameras
appear very satisfactory for his aim, since this lies at the former,
commercial nature of his and Magnum's work. However, it remains
questionable how much they could provide for a more artistic and
creative orientation of some other photographer.

C.S.