[OM] Re: EOS 400D

Subject: [OM] Re: EOS 400D
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:22:32 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, the wide angle thing is almost incomprehensible given today's
> computer processing power and the ability to incorporate non-spherical
> elements and glasses with higher indices of refracton.  And if they
> can't design something better today the Oly 18 and 21mm designs are so
> old that they could be freely copied.
Oh no, don't do that, The conspiracy theorists will have heart attacks
at the unmitigated evil.

I suspect the reasons are pragmatic and market driven. They only have so
many resources to devote to lens design and lots of areas that could
benefit from new designs with the advent of the digital bodies. They are
directing them first to the products that they believe will sell the
most and make the most money.

Design and sell a great 21mm prime to all those folks two have or want
Zeiss and Zuiko WAs and you still didn't make much money. Design a 10-22
mm zoom for the EF-S mount cameras you are selling like hotcakes and you
make a lot of money. New WA primes will come, if at all, long after
other holes are filled. It may even become the province of specialty
makers. If Canon do come out with a first rate 21 mm and don't make
money on it, you can bet other fls won't follow.

Moose