[OM] Re: The Kamikaze bird

Subject: [OM] Re: The Kamikaze bird
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 22:16:14 -0400
Your story reminds me of a traumatic day about 1960.  I was in high
school and working in a pet shop in late afternoons and Saturdays.  One
of my jobs was to clean the bird cages one of which included about a
dozen juvenile parakeets (budgies, I think, to you Oz guys).  I had done
it many, many times before.  When the clean-out tray was removed from
the bottom of the cage there was actually enough clearance that these
birds could fit through.  However, escape never seemed to be an issue.
They were all so skittish that they would cower in the back of the cage
and crawl all over each other trying to get even farther away.

On day one of them became brave enough to make a break for freedom.
Within seconds the others spotted their chance as well and suddenly
there were a dozen little parakeets making a bee-line for the front of
the store and the freedom represented by all that open air fifty feet
away.  Unfortunately, that open air was a huge picture window and in a
matter of a few more seconds there came the sounds; thump, thunk, bang,
bang, thump, whack, bang, kapow, whap, whap, bang, kathunk!

There were no survivors.  Lesson learned too late.

Chuck Norcutt