[OM] Re: [OT] To my friends on the list

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] To my friends on the list
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 18:44:33 +0800
Tom

As you might know, I am very new to the List and I have enjoyed a tremendous
sense of appreciation for those of you who have been here for far too long
to care to count the years. Your name is amongst those whose personal
character (characteristics?) is colourful enough for me to enjoy, like and
respect.
To hear of the news of your wife's passing places a weight in my heart and
although I have not had the pleasure of knowing you personally, your
postings made me believe I do know who you are. I cannot even imagine how
you feel right now although I have a fair idea of what defines grief. I
offer you my condolences and my prayers are with you and your two daughters.
If you feel like taking some time off the List just to do some reflection or
whatever it is that you need to do, I have no doubt that everyone will
understand and support. I think that's what's so powerful about the
friendship value at this List. You can feel it surging through some of the
postings.
Tom, we're all with you in your time of grief. If there's anything anyone of
us can do for you, all you have to do is holler. Distance doesn't matter.

Your friend

K.

On 06/09/06, Tom Scales <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To those of you fairly new on the list, this email will likely not make
> much
> sense. To those that have been here forever, you will know of my journey
> with my wife Debbie and I thought you would like to know the latest news.
>
> Debbie's health has been up and down in the last few years but she
> continued
> to improve.  She was on dialysis, but that was going well.  We had taken
> up
> riding a tandem (2 seat) bicycle as her eyesight was too bad to ride her
> bike.  In the last year we rode over 9,000 miles and had great fun doing
> it.
>
> Last Thursday we were involved in a very minor accident while riding the
> tandem.  A truck turned right on red without looking and hit us, knocking
> us
> down. It was not a bad accident and we rode on and finished the day with
> almost 40 miles.
>
> What we didn't know is that the accident had broken a small blood vessel
> deep in her brain. Even if we had known, there was nothing that could have
> been done, so I will treasure that days ride. She slipped into a coma on
> Friday and passed away peacefully at home early Monday morning in my arms.
>
> After all she has been through over the last 20 years, it is so sad that
> such a simple accident is what took her life. As most of you know, we have
> two teenage daughters who are, of course, stunned, but will learn to go
> on,
> as will I.
>
> One positive is that Debbie has been involved in technology for the blind
> for many years. She ran a very popular mailing list for the blind and has
> spent many thousands of hours helping people all around the world with
> their
> problems. You can't even imagine how hard it is to help someone that uses
> screen reader. Imagine using the computer today, all day, without ever
> touching the mouse, with your eyes closed, with computer reading
> everything
> to you. I let the people in the blind community know of her loss and have
> received over 400 emails from around the world from people sharing how
> Debbie had personally helped them with a problem and literally changed
> their
> lives.
>
> Sorry to intrude with a personal note, but there are many here that I
> thought would want to know.
>
> Tom Scales
> tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com