[OM] Re: Magnum pro with Oly gear

Subject: [OM] Re: Magnum pro with Oly gear
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:17:03 -0400
You've improved the sky but worsened the foreground which was previously
just right.  The trick is to combine the two.  If you're using PhotoShop
keep the original as the first layer.  Make the modified sky version the
second layer.  To the modified sky layer add a mask.  With the mask
selected get the paint bucket tool and pour black paint on the mask.
This will suddenly reveal the original first layer underneath.  Then
switch to a  paintbrush tool using white paint.  Start painting the sky
area of the mask with white paint which will reveal the corrected sky on
  the top layer.

If this had been shot in raw mode you could have done a separate
conversion for the sky and likely have gotten some more detail out of it
and then combined the two images.  The ultimate, of course, would be
multiple exposures for stacking.

Chuck Norcutt