[OM] Re: Sunrise this morning in Grand Junction

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunrise this morning in Grand Junction
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 22:35:17 -0700
Candace Lemarr wrote:
> Nice, Moose, I like them. :-)

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I cleaned up the dark triangle in the
upper righ of one and the dark line along the right edge of the other.
Little things like that can make a big difference, not so much because
the flaws are big, but because they distract the eye.
> Yes, I wanted to not lose anymore of the sky and clouds, and I was trying to
> keep a certain proportion/ measurement. I do have some I cropped at a 10x8,
> which is so-so.
Standard print sizes work fine for a lot of images. But for a lot of
others, there seems to be a natural cropping that fits the image and
doesn't come close to a standard size.

I've been thinking about printing up more of my favorite images, framing
and hanging them. But forcing them into standard sizes really detracts
from many of them, to my eye. I have no interest in learning to cut mats
and frame them, but having it done is quite an expense. Frustrating.
> I liked Mt Garfield and the Bookcliffs higher up in the
> image rather than lower towards the bottom. Darkening the foreground as you
> have done works wonders.

Thanks, I actually would crop the vertical one quite a bit myself and
the horizontal one a bit, but it's a matter of taste.
>> Not all that much to do. Mostly, I cropped the bottoms and darkened the
>> foreground that was left. I left in a subtle amount of natural looking
>> detail in the foregrounds. As long as I was in there, I spiced up the
>> skies a little, but I'm not sure they needed it
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Candace/Sunrise1.htm> .
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Candace/Sunrise2.htm>
>>
> I always enjoy seeing your efforts at improvement or just simply showing us
> a different take on the image. Sometimes I agree with you, sometimes not,
> sometimes I agree with no one but myself ;-))
That's all I'm really trying to do, open up possibilities.
> But I always learn something, so thank you. :-)

Glad you enjoy them!

Moose