[OM] Re: Sunrise this morning in Grand Junction

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunrise this morning in Grand Junction
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:57:11 -0400
Moose,

Allow me to try and persuade you otherwise regarding mat cutting. Like you I
thought it would be hard to do but the reality I found was much different.
The cost savings from the first three mats I cut paid for the cutter and was
really worth my time and investment. I would recommend a simple machine such
as the Logan 301-S which has a straight edge guide for the cutter and depth
gauge for the boarders built in. You can source one on everyones favorite
auction site for under $100 now. It comes with a helpful instructional video
as well as plenty of blades (they need to be changed every 10-15 cuts I have
found to avoid nicks in the cut). Couple all this to the fact that large
sheets of mat board at craft stores are typically $5 a sheet and you can't
go wrong. I have only cut maybe 8 mats so far and I would guess it takes
maybe 15-20 minutes from getting the machine out to having a custom mat in
my hands.

So give it a go! I think you will love it.

Dan S.

A snipped Moose wrote:

> Yes, I wanted to not lose anymore of the sky and clouds, and I was
> trying to keep a certain proportion/ measurement. I do have some I
> cropped at a 10x8, which is so-so.
Standard print sizes work fine for a lot of images. But for a lot of others,
there seems to be a natural cropping that fits the image and doesn't come
close to a standard size.

I've been thinking about printing up more of my favorite images, framing and
hanging them. But forcing them into standard sizes really detracts from many
of them, to my eye. I have no interest in learning to cut mats and frame
them, but having it done is quite an expense. Frustrating.

Moose