[OM] Re: Sunrise this morning in Grand Junction

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunrise this morning in Grand Junction
From: "Candace Lemarr" <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:32:51 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose"

> Candace Lemarr wrote:
>> Nice, Moose, I like them. :-)
>>
> Thanks! I forgot to mention that I cleaned up the dark triangle in the
> upper righ of one and the dark line along the right edge of the other.
> Little things like that can make a big difference, not so much because
> the flaws are big, but because they distract the eye.

Yes, I saw that I had left that dang little corner in after I'd posted. I
thought I had removed all of the eave over our garage, but I missed a tiny
edge. I hate when I do that ;-) Only a half cup of coffe in me at the time.
;-))

>> Yes, I wanted to not lose anymore of the sky and clouds, and I was trying
>> keep a certain proportion/ measurement. I do have some I cropped at a
>> 10x8,
>> which is so-so.
> Standard print sizes work fine for a lot of images. But for a lot of
> others, there seems to be a natural cropping that fits the image and
> doesn't come close to a standard size.
>
> I've been thinking about printing up more of my favorite images, framing
> and hanging them. But forcing them into standard sizes really detracts
> from many of them, to my eye. I have no interest in learning to cut mats
> and frame them, but having it done is quite an expense. Frustrating.

I find myself in the same boat. I often prefer unconventional picture sizes
for many reasons. But then, I try to remind myself, that at least for my
personal images, I really should just crop them to a standard size on the
off chance that I might print them for an album. HA, as if!! Anyhow, I think
at some point I will look into a matt cutter as Daniel Sepke is suggesting.
It is very inexpensive to buy a sheet of matting. I used to (bk, before
kids) do a lot of needle work &, cross stitch and I could easily spend
300.00 - 500.00 just getting a piece to a finished size of 11x14 with a
custom double matt and frame. Drove me nuts. That's not something one can
recoup in selling, it is simply an expense one endures for the love of the
craft, and for displaying in one's own home. I digress, but it's not so
different with pictures.

>> I liked Mt Garfield and the Bookcliffs higher up in the
>> image rather than lower towards the bottom. Darkening the foreground as
>> you
>> have done works wonders.
>>
> Thanks, I actually would crop the vertical one quite a bit myself and
> the horizontal one a bit, but it's a matter of taste.

Care to show me? :-)
Candace