[OM] The cost of backup

Subject: [OM] The cost of backup
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:23:03 -0400
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST3250823A-R&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-daily_html-_-08sep06_GEEKPLUS-_-GEEKPLUSproduct>

Got the link above in the mail recently which reminded me of the
discussion of backup and of the need for multiple copies.  The 250 GB
drive shown here at USD 65 has enough room to accommodate the equivalent
of about 450 36 exposure rolls of film.  That's probably more film than
I've shot in my entire life.  And that's at 5D size images and includes
a raw file plus full size, high quality JPEG for each (about 15 MB for
each pair).

If you bought two of these and external USB/Firewire cases for them you
could have a double backup solution (including shipping) for about $200.
  Since this is replacing film as your backup medium it's like getting
the film and processing for US 44 cents/roll.

Chuck Norcutt