[OM] Re: RESCUE ME

Subject: [OM] Re: RESCUE ME
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 18:03:52 -0700
Marc Lawrence wrote:
>> Gordon Ross wrote:
>> [...]I hope that I haven't been 'voted off the island', I don't
>> have to extinguish my torch do I? [...]
>>

> Gordon,
>
> I ADMINister another mailing list, and have had experience in our
> daily error report of 'shaw.ca', in their endeavours to limit the
> spam that you get, implementing "controls" that identify listmail as
> spam (for example, based their receiving a certain number of emails
> for their customers from a single sender within a certain time frame).
> It may be that the OM list has been technically identified as a
> "spammer" by shaw.ca (I don't know if the OM list-admin gets the
> error reports, or has time to review them, but they might identify
> what shaw.ca's auto-response has been if they *are* blocking it).
>
> There are a few ISP's that implement such "control" of spam, in
> varying levels of "success" (don't get me started on AOL and
> Bellsouth.
I think, based on my experience, that you can add SBC=>AT&T to that group.
> Some mailing lists have simply said that they won't
> subscribe AOL email addresses, for instance). So, it may be a
> matter of dealing with your ISP to stop them identifying a valid
> mailing list so.
>
> Alternatively, Moose's suggestion can often be right on the money
> for many. Gmail lets you use your email client to just POP3 right
> in, so to you it might become completely transparent if you set your
> client up right - all into the same Inbox, but from different
> sources.

Or sort one source into different inboxes. I do check gmail directly on
occasion to see if any list mail has fallen into the spam mailbox. Maybe
it got smarter or I did sometihng last time. I just checked and no
listmail ended up there. I guess I could set up another inbox on my
email client to pull in the spam and just delete it there.

gmail does have a quirk. Even if I set Thunderbird to leave mail on the
POP server when it downloads, gmail deletes it as soon as it is
downloaded, unlike Yahoo mail and my IDCSoft email accounts.

On the other hand, gmail is really quick. I subscribed on an IDCSoft
email acount and at the moment, there are 9 posts that I've received via
gmail that haven't yet showed up on the other account. Oops, they just
showed up! Better late than never.
> Of course, it could be something else entirely. :-)

Always, but I'll bet you are right. With SBC, I figured that getting
through to someone who could, and would be inclined to, change those
settings, was unlikely without losing too much of my life in the process.

Moose