[OM] frustrations: was Monopod

Subject: [OM] frustrations: was Monopod
From: Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:25:34 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for that, Chuck.

Those are nice units at those links and I will take them well into advisory

For the moment, I am going to *try* to locate an identical quick-release head
unit to my Slik AMT Tripod head, although based on the appearances of the SLIK
website, I dont think I will have much luck..

What a Ghod awful website! One might think that a company that is involved in
visual imaging and that sort of thing would have a better looking website,
their current site looks like my son's grade 9 business class project finals,
almost like a Geocities website, ( the trailer park of the Internet!)

http://www.slik.com/index.html

I may have ranted about this in a previous email, but it is *REALLY* bugging
me..

I am having such a headache with the service from local photo shops..I call one
asking about a  SLIK head, and they tell me to call long distance to the
smallest shop they have in the chain, who only tells me to call someone else.
None of whom I call can seem to answer some basic questions about the SLIK
product, although SLIK lists them as a rep.  They share a database, I am told
by the reps at each store, but they are neither current or maintained well
enough to know where the inventory is. This is so typical these days, and I
have all but given up shopping in local stores, and will probably take my
entire shopping online, but I hate the added costs of shipping and Customs
Canada.

Today, I asked a camera store rep in Calgary to locate me a Adventure 9 pack
and he says he can get one from their location in Toronto, but I would have to
pay for shipping.  Last week I was talking to a rep from Tamrac who operates
out of Calgary. so I asked the store rep why they cant just call the rep in
that city and get one, and they have no answer, but it *HAS* to come out of
Toronto.. who'da thunk it.. the center of the universe has control...I looked
at lots of other stores, many didnt have Tamrac products. The Rep sent me an
email saying there was lots of Tamrac product out there but I *HAD* to get it
from a store.... I spent at least 2 days looking here in the city for them..not
much available.. I dont know what he calls lots..

Ya Know..I bought over 3K worth of photo gear in a 3 month stretch at an
Edmonton store and when I sent them an email from Baffin Island asking them to
order it for me so it would be in when I got home, they wanted me to give them
a 50% deposit on a 150.00 backpack  before they order.

If I spent lots on equipment in a single store that they would  be willing to
at least know my name, and that I am a good customer with the funds to do what
I ask for? For the most part, they are just *pretty girls* that sell cameras,
and dont know a thing about what they sell.

 Is it me or am I expecting too much from these places? Is there any place left
with customer service, client relationships these days?

I miss Garth, he may have a good suggestion for me on who to deal with..

Cheers.. Tim

Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: You need a head to be able to
flip to vertical orientation.  Bogen makes
a simple one specifically for monopods.

With quick release

and without quick release

The quick release version is probably only desireable if you already use
this particular type of Bogen quick release bracket.  I do but there're
are much better QR solutions available.

Chuck Norcutt

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx