[OM] Re: frustrations: was Monopod

Subject: [OM] Re: frustrations: was Monopod
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:45:18 -0700
As the brightest here on the list have probably realized, I am a cheapskate
still in grad school.  As such I always look at eBay first for everything I
need or want, bid for weeks on the items I really want, without
any success, and then settle on something cheaper.  This is exactly what
happened when I went out to shop for monopods.  All the nice Manfrottos and
Bogens were snapped up right before my eyes, so I had to look for other
solutions.  I finally found something that looks very similar to this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/68-4-section-light-weight-Camera-Monopod-D38_W0QQitemZ220026076093QQihZ012QQcategoryZ97006QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and was really really cheap.  I think I got it for under $10.  Can't
remember from what seller.

When it came I tried it out of course, only to find out that the ballhead
was as cheap as I could have expected.  It would creep no matter how well
you tighten it, even just with my OM-1 and 50mm lens on it.  The rest of
the monopod seemed good however.  After I sanded the ball the creep was
fixed, and now it holds my E-1 with the 50-200mm easily.  And after I put a
Cullmann quick release on, it is just great.  Best buy I have made for
quite some time.

Just in case there is another cheapskate here on the list looking for
monopods.