[OM] Re: megapixel capacity of the E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: megapixel capacity of the E-3
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:56:34 -0700
I don't think anyone thinks Fuji's color is natural. Pleasing, yes.
But maybe the naturalness is in the post processing and Olympus knows
how to do that. They have not sold sensors to anyone and provided any
indication that they might go in that direction when their investors
are clamoring for them to provide some kind of plan for saving the
company.

I think the Canon iteration of the dust buster is enough different
that they don't owe that much to Olympus and they have never sold
their sensor. Sensor sales are zero part of their income.  Besides
the Oly product might be interesting enough and with "Canon Inside",
Canon might see that as a way to lose some sales.  Profit on a camera
is probably more than profit on a sensor. I would guess that the
sensor will come from one of the 4/3 group that can make sensors and
are committed to the format. That just leaves Panasonic and Kodak.
Right? If they go outside the 4/3 group I doubt Sony would be
interested in doing a low production 4/3 format chip for them. Who
does that leave? Dalsa and Fill Factory?

Then again perhaps Oly will just learn what Canon and Fuji know about
post processing in the raw format and apply it to whatever they use.
I saw converted high ISO raw image without any other processing from
a Fuji E800 and it was really, really ugly. Nikon has used
essentially the same 6MP sensor from the D100 through the D50 and the
jpg noise characteristics improved on each camera so that the D50 is
the same or a little better than most of the Canons. They learn along
the way.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA