[OM] new sensor

Subject: [OM] new sensor
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 03:47:42 -0700
> Why not three CCD or CMOS? It would be the best way to get
> perfect colour accuracy? Hmmm, I think Minolta tried this solution
> long time ago. You can split a light beam to three CCDs; as we are
> usign four-thirds sensors, they are smaller than 35mm sensor and
> the camera won't be too bulky. What do you think Khen? ;-)

Perfect color accuracy is impossible, regardless of the system used, due to the
extreme overlap of the spectral sensitivity of the eye's blue and green cones.
(This is, I believe, why the CIE chart "bulges" on the green side.)

Switching to three separate sensors might improve things, if the dichroic
filters it used had better bandpass characteristics than the (presumably)
conventional filters used on single-chip sensors.

The bulk of the camera is not as significant as is the distance of the sensors
from the lens. The greater the distance, the more difficult it is to produce
wide-angle

I'm going to get personal again. Most of what Khen posts strikes me as
self-indulgent bilge.