[OM] Re: new sensor

Subject: [OM] Re: new sensor
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:02:26 +0800
Chuck

>From what I understand from Shinju-ku, these are brave times for the company
sans Maitani. It hasn't been easy going because Maitani left a huge hole by
his retirement. Trying to project past greatness into the future is only an
attempt to share a faith to as many people as possible. And faith is kinda
funny because strength can emerge and from there, people can be encouraged
to really move forth. Maitani was like that with all of us. Working at
Olympus was not all about "good times" . We had our fair share of feeling
despondent, downcast, simply depressed. In the highly charged industry of
trying to beat each other to the finishing line, some of us become spent
force just trying to push ourselves but that's Japan, Chuck, and as one of
my friends once told me, "there's nothing like working in Japan." True but
not a flattering comment, I can assure you.
I've always reiterated that Olympus had made some dreadfully bad calls in
the past 20 or so years ago and is now paying the price for them but instead
of dragging its feet, it is now battling to put things right as quickly as
possible but heck, we're talking about trying to compete with Canon and now
Sony! I can tell you that within the labs, we aren't exactly too concerned
about competing against Nikon - I'm sure this won't go down well with some
of you - but when it comes to any effort in hacking down Canon, it ain't
easy considering how huge their camera division was then and still is today.
And now that Sony has come in with Zeiss lenses that are compatible with
full-frame applications, none of these are unknown to Shinju-ku. Olympus
isn't worried about competing along the lines of optical quality but they
are concerned about protecting their pro-line E-x series. With news that
Sony will be releasing a far more serious DSLR next year, Olympus is
preparing the E-xx line as I write to you. If all goes according to plan,
the first E-xx model will roll out from Q2/Q3 2007.

You are right when you said that it is a business/marketing problem at
Olympus and we're struggling to cope with this. Nothing wrong with our
engineering.

K.

On 14/09/06, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The stories from the past are wonderful.  A part of all of us is still
> living there.  This list is all about Olympus stuff and especially OM
> lore be it trivial or not so trivial.  You can and have made excellent
> contributions there.  If you got into any trouble with some I think it's
> from trying to project that past greatness into the future when it
> doesn't seem to some of us to be coming forth.  Oly's superb engineering
> staff will be only of little help in solving what is basically a
> business and marketing problem.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> khen lim wrote:
>
> > It's really s-i-m-p-l-e. When I first arrived at this List, I
> contributed
> > postings concerning my time at Olympus during the film era, which of
> course
> > would mean that I would speak of the OM SLRs and Maitani. After all
> these
> > were my experiences. I was then told that this was great and many people
> > wanted to hear about these.
> > If I were ever told earlier that, no, no one wants to hear about the old
> > days anymore, I would have shut up and gone on to participate in all
> things
> > digital.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx