[OM] Full-Frame Transfer CCD as opposed to Interlaced

Subject: [OM] Full-Frame Transfer CCD as opposed to Interlaced
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:19:16 +0200
Hello Fellow Olympoids,

One thing I miss in all discussions at the moment which was quite an
issue when the E-1 was originally introduced is the Full-Frame Transfer
CCD (of same size and mpix). With this technology each pixel can be
bigger than on an Interlaced CCD, because the electric conductors are
behind the light-sensitive layer and not between the rows of pixels.

Is this technology continued in the newer bodies (E-300, 330 and 500)?
Will it be continued in the bodies that we may expect soon?
Or is this technology abandoned after the E-1?

I believe that this difference in design could make a difference (to
some degree) for the noise issues with the E-1. The individual pixels
could be bigger than on another CCD with the interlaced technology. I
don't know how much the difference in pixel size effectively is, but it
should be possible to make a 4/3 CCD with less noise than the E-1 shows.

Any opinions? Khen?

Kind regards,

Wiliam