[OM] Re: Why not tales of OM?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not tales of OM?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 07:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
> After all, this is the "OM list" isn't it, not the E-thingy
> list.

Well...

My camera says "Olympus" on the front of the penteprism hump.
My lenses (even the new ones) have "Zuiko" stamped into them.
We're STILL waiting for the OM-4Ti replacement just like we're
waiting for the E-1 replacement.

I'm both a professional photographer as well as an "enthusiast".
I use the E-1 professionally and the OM-2S for spec work.

It's a situation of being relevant. Unfortunately, the OM system
isn't very relevant these days. Without the flexibility to
evolve into an E-thingy list, without specifically coming out
with the (ET) list, this is the most practical thing going. I
personally refuse to go off into another list just to add my
communications needs for the E-thingy. There's the four-thirds
website which has really taken off, but that place has an
entirely different "culture" than here.  It's like everybody is
gunning for each other on these new forums.

But what about the OM you ask? Well, we could be pretty snotty
and say "read the FAQ" or "read the archives".  I'm having a
hard time believing that there hasn't been much of any technical
topic that we haven't discussed yet--including screw patterns
and colors of manuals.  That type of put-offish response has not
been used here. The freedom of information exchange is
considered "fresh" and "new" any time a question is asked.
Another cultural difference of this list.

As much as it causes me to *hack*, I've actually gotten used to
the E-Canon topics.  It's actually so nice of Canon to provide
3rd-party bodies for our OM lenses.  Hey, if Tamron, Tokina,
Sigma and Vivitar can provide 3rd-party lenses for our OM
bodies, doesn't it make sense that Canon can make 3rd-party
bodies for our lenses?

The fact is, sooner or later everybody on this list will either
buy an E-thingy or E-Canon to mount their OM lenses to.  The
used market of E-thingies hasn't even kicked into low gear yet.
Once you can pick up a used E-300 or E-1 or E-500 for the price
of a used OM-2n, everybody here will have one.  We're gear
guys/gals.  It'll happen.

Resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com