[OM] Re: #173

Subject: [OM] Re: #173
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:49:14 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "GeeBee" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 14 September, 2006 07:30 PM

> From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Subject: [OM] Re: #173
>
> > And what's with the front of that boat? Some sort of sinister looking
> > black grid with locomotive style headlamp..

-
> Hi Moose
>
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/Temp.htm
>
> At a little over 2 miles long it takes 40 minutes to get through. With the
> advent of coal fuelled steam engines the bargees no longer had to 'walk'*

During the early part of WW2 my father applied for and obtained his
officer's commission in the British army. One of the requirements was that
he speak two languages other than his native English. One of the
requirements was fulfilled with "bargee" and the other was "broad
Yorkshire". He was very good with both. He was from Yorkshire. The
authorities had not anticipated such creativity!  He told me many years ago
that English "bargee" was indeed a language all unto its own.

jh