[OM] And Now For Something Similar - Images of California

Subject: [OM] And Now For Something Similar - Images of California
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:47:16 -0700
I posted two of these a little while ago
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net//Yosemite2ip/Foothiills/>.

OM-4, Portra 160NC, all Tamron SP 35-105/2.8 except perhaps one with
Tamron SP 60-300.

I didn't post the other three mostly because I was thinking I might get

I've since had a friend over who has an exceptional eye for color
nuance, one that certainly exceeds mine. He is, among other things, an
art historian and spent a lot of time and effort some years ago, before
I knew him, photographing the Calif. landscape with 35mm and Hassleblad.

I took him in to view these shots, although in full screen size, rather
than the smaller versions shown here. I was quite surprised at his
wildly enthusiastic reaction. He said this light and color was something
he immediately recognized, especially because it was something he had
never been able to capture to his satisfaction.

This led, of course, to a discussion of the things that can be done now
to create and maintain color calibrated images. He had pretty much
stopped with film and darkroom and didn't know what had been happening
since.

So there are at least the two of us who agree that this special color
palette of fresh, new green grass with warm, late afternoon light and
the sharp, almost incised feeling of detail in the trees and shadows is
a pretty accurate version of the natural world.

Also, the film was scanned using a midday sun icc color profile and I
didn't play with the color at all.

Moose