[OM] Re: And Now For Something Similar - Images of California

Subject: [OM] Re: And Now For Something Similar - Images of California
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:52:55 +0100
On 16/09/06, AllanDan <allandan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The mood suggested by the colors is extraordinary.

I would say exactly that as well. (Thanks Allan).

So, this is a great achievement, it implies and creates a personal
interpretation of the scene. (See a previous comment of mine in your
last picture about the particular emotions evoked here)

Now, we could say that this is why any characteristics of the photos,
even if in isolation they could have been judged as ''over-doing' this
or that'', now they tend to be part of a personal approach rather than
an unusual, abstract out-of-context technique.

On the critical side, maybe the impact of illuminating and sharpening
some naturally shadowed areas needs to be a touch lower. Not only
because it creates some rather strange, lightly 'embossed' effect in
few areas... and not only because deep dark areas are very functional
and positive parts of the compositions... But also because I would not
consider as a success the case whereby a technique over-shadows the
importance and stong impression of what is really special here. And
the special is what said above in our first sentence.

Keeping the balance would be important for me. And I think it mostly
appears that way.

Christos Stavrou