[OM] Re: Press Release on Kodak Sensor in M8

Subject: [OM] Re: Press Release on Kodak Sensor in M8
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 23:23:13 -0700
Leica has licensed their name and some of their design to other
makers since the Leica/Minolta CL in 1973. Nothing new here. Probably
most of the Leica variants are sold in Japan because they like the
marque and also like small cameras. No one really confuses those
bread and butter cameras with Leicas, well maybe some do. And who
knows how much input the German design team provided? Sometimes great
actors do television, for the money to support the art they really
want to do.

It really is about design and fabrications standards.  Canada was the
second great site for that "legendary German craftsmanship" back in
the 60's, and then Portugal. Your logic seems to be that if something
is made in Japan it should not be more expensive than other Japanese
products. But other things also influence the price as others have
noted. Otherwise there would be no difference between a Bentley and
an Austin because they were both built in England. I would be willing
to wager that the Kodak sensor mated to the first ever offset
microlens filter cost millions and millions, for a low production
camera.

I was not aware that Leica lenses were made in Japan except the ones
licensed by Panasonic attached to Panasonic cameras with Leica
nameplates.  I admit I have not followed the Leica adventures closely
for a few years. Thank goodness they have replaced the crap
electronics they had. VW and Audi should do the same.  Which lenses
are made in Japan?

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA