[OM] [OT] Caution, short life story, was Re: [OT] House for sale

Subject: [OM] [OT] Caution, short life story, was Re: [OT] House for sale
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 06:55:50 -0400
Endwell, NY is my wife's home town which we left in 1970 when IBM
transfered me to Manassas, Virginia... the first of many moves by a
company whose initials stand for "I've Been Moved".  Endicott, NY, the
next town over, is the cradle of the IBM Corp which used to do business
there starting in 1911 as the Computing - Tabulating - Time Recording
Company, aka CTR.  CTR was a restructuring of three other businesses
having roots back to the 1880's.  They produced Hollerith punch card
equipment (first used in the 1890 census), high precision clocks and
employee time recording equipment and butcher's scales to name a few
products.

I'm a Michigan and So. California boy myself but met my wife while we
were both attending Syracuse U where the Air Force had sent me for a
year.  Her father had been an IBM employee since 1938 and that's where I
ended up when I got out of the Air Force in '65.  After Manassas we
lived in Woodstock, NY (yes, that Woodstock),  and Boca Raton, FL (in
the heyday of the PC) before finally ending up in Woburn, MA near Boston
where I worked for two other companies after "retiring" from IBM.

If it were up to me we'd go back to Florida where I can be with my
gators, snakes and birds but she can't abide the heat.  I can't abide
the snow and -30 degree F temperatures but it should be clear who the
winner was here.  But there are some other attractions.  Her sister and
brother and some old friends are close by.

Maybe I'll even become a landscape guy like Graham.  There are gorgeous
hills and valleys, streams and farms with grazing livestock all along
the I-88 corridor between Binghamton (spelled correctly this time) and
Albany.  You can even see big sky and clouds which is something I rarely
see here being surrounded by tall trees.  We always whiz by that
gorgeous scenery when traveling with never the time to stop and capture
some of the local photons.

Chuck Norcutt