[OM] Re: Bag recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: Bag recommendation
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:10:07 -0700
Men carry a small assortment of bags in general: computer briefcase,
camera bag, occasionally a diaper bag but not usually without a wife
or baby, and the all purpose backpack. Even the dullest thieves have
no trouble identifying a computer bag or camera bag. If it does not
look like any of those, I am sure it will look like an especially
interesting puzzle.  People who think their Billinghams, or whatever,
don't scream camera bag are fooling themselves. It does not look
anything at all like a general backpack, diaper bag or computer bag.
It can only be a camera bag.

  The only bag that might not draw interest is a small loosely filled
backpack. Ones like the Lowe have a small advantage because they have
a single walled, unpadded compartment covering the part you see which
you can leave it partly unzipped with a light jacket sticking out
which suggests clothing not camera equipment. but a backpack that
looks more like the loose, unpadded hiking type would probably be the
best. I considered trying to make padded inserts for one once, but
did not. I have never had anything snatched in public, nor do I know
anyone who has. I do use a cable to attach my bag to something when I
am waiting for long periods in an airport when my attention might
wander.

The identity of every bag is readily apparent if you have an SLR
around your neck or in your hand.

  I prefer working from a shoulder bag, but the concern seems to be
invisibility...

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA