[OM] Re: Good thing we had film for backup in 1956

Subject: [OM] Re: Good thing we had film for backup in 1956
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:27:56 +0000
I started in television news while still a college journalism student about
1960. I saw my first video tape recorder about 1961 or '62, and it was the size
of at least two refrigerators and recorded on 3-inch (best I remember)
reel-to-reel tape. I wonder what's still around to play that stuff and what it
might look like today. I bet, though, that the kinescopes from those dark and
dreary black and white ages still look good as new, assuming proper processing
and storage.

I'll be 66 in less than six months, so I'm not too concerned about how long
what I shoot today will last, just as I couldn't care less about life-time
guarantees. But if I were a young whippersnapper, I might give some though
about what the pictures of my children might look like 50 years from now. Mine
are safely preserved on Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Plus-X, Tri-X, and so forth and
so on, and are still looking about 99.44% good.

Good luck, high-tech kiddies, 'cause you're prolly gonna need it.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --