[OM] Re: The Latest Truth from Oly about the E-400

Subject: [OM] Re: The Latest Truth from Oly about the E-400
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:31:49 -0400
Wow!  This reminds me a bit of what happened when I worked for
Seiko-Epson back in the '80s.

Every year our distribution group placed substantial advance orders
for printers (dot-matrix, of course) in preparation for the holiday
buying season.  Three years in a row we got a fraction of what we
ordered which severely reduced our profit and gave an opening to our
competitors.  All we got from corporate was hand wringing and head
shaking and "that's all the factory can produce".

The president of our group finally blew a gasket and took a flight
from Detroit to L.A. to go to the U.S. corporate headquarters to find
out what was going wrong.  He traced it to an individual bean counter
who produced a complete history of our orders.  The latest one showed
the numbers we ordered and the huge reductions he decided to apply.
Carl (the prez) demanded to know why he reduced our orders.  Bean
counter replies, "Well, you never sold even close to those numbers
before so I figured there was no way you could sell that many so I
reduced your orders."  Turns out he did that to the orders of all
twelve U.S. distributors.

Which also reminds me of the four-day long argument I had with the
Seiko-Epson engineers at an international meeting.  I was a major
accounts rep tasked with reporting what corporate customers wanted in
the future.  "Laser printers, laptops and high capacity HDDs" was my
mantra.  Despite all the data I presented, they patiently explained
why laser printers and laptops would never be a factor in the market
and why such high capacity HDDs would never be needed.

You've heard of Epson, haven't you?  They used to dominate both the
corporate and consumer printer markets.  Now they do some business in
the photo printers niche market and sell a few scanners.

ScottGee1