[OM] Re: The Latest Truth from Oly about the E-400

Subject: [OM] Re: The Latest Truth from Oly about the E-400
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:41:08 -0700 (PDT)
> Olympus America is solely responsible for whatever happens in
> their market. If they make the wrong tactical decision, they
> wear the costs. But of course if things get too "hot under
> the collar," Japan may ask why. This has happened before but
> not commonly so.

Obviously not enough.  Olympus America is a prime example of a
business unit that is severely clue-impaired. How they continue
to fail at keeping major retailers pushing the products is
beyond me.  When the biggest chains that sell camera gear won't
touch Olympus you've got a problem.

Maybe they do OK in the medical fields with the high-dollar
items, but when it comes to consumer electronics, Olympus
America is totally incompetent.  The occasional nut which a
blind squirrel finds doesn't make it sighted.

I've railed against OA for years now.  The same idiots keep
doing the same thing over and over again.  It must be a
corporate culture thing.  If Olympus Headquarters truely
understood the mess that OA has made of the USA market, they
would have shut that operation down years ago.

Khem, I don't think you have a clue just how messed up OA has
made things over here.  This latest jesture of not selling the
E-400 isn't even on the fringe of idiotic things this company
has done.  For example:  Charging the store more for a
low-margin item than what the big-box stores are selling the
same item for.  Then whacking the same store with a promotional
fee so that the big-box store can sell in the same market.  The
big-box stores not only do not get charged the promotional fee,
but they charge the companies for advertising space in the
flyers as well as shelf-space!

Another thing is the "minimum order".  Many stores would have
carried the E-system if OA didn't mandate a minimum first order
that was downright obscene.  The other brands either have no
minimum order or a much smaller amount.  No retailer is going to
buy into the E-system with its high-risk sales probabilities
when they can buy and sell Canon and Nikons with little risk and
with no minimum order amounts.  Forcing a camera store to pony
up $6000+ on an initial order for a system which they will have
to sell below cost is unreal.  To make matters even worse, the
retailer already is selling tons of Olympus P&S cameras, but the
E-system is considered an entirely different product line
requiring an entirely different sales/purchase agreement. The
$6000+ had to be exclusively on the E-system and not combined
with any amount of P&S cameras.

This is why every person I know in my state with an E-1 had to
buy it from some major photography store in New York City.

Welcome to our world here on this side of the pond.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com