[OM] Re: 'Cheap-o Zuiko? Or Leitz?

Subject: [OM] Re: 'Cheap-o Zuiko? Or Leitz?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 05:01:08 -0400
I think the distinction we're talking about is not multicoating but the
optical performance of the lens which changed through the years as
Olympus made various engineering modifications.

Multicoating is just one of the modifications and doesn't mean the same
thing for all lenses or all versions of the same lens.  Two different
versions of the same lens known to be multicoated may have different
types of multicoating and may have different numbers of their elements
multicoated.  Some elements may be single coated even on a lens marked
as multicoated.

Most of this stems from Gary Reese's extensive testing of Zuiko (and
other) lenses.  Gary often tested multiple samples and versions of the
same lens.  When interpreting these test results you also need to be
aware of the body used and any other supplemental support on long teles.
  The Zuiko 200/4 is especially prone to vibration but is an excellent
performer if suitably restrained.  Vibration is a signficant factor in
all of these tests and best results are typically reported using a body
that allows mirror and aperture pre-fire with the self-timer.  Gary
clearly proved that just locking up the mirror ala OM-1 isn't good
enough for critical testing of lens quality.

<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>

Chuck Norcutt