[OM] Re: The Pentax K10D

Subject: [OM] Re: The Pentax K10D
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:38:46 -0700 (PDT)
Moose wrote:
> It's all about the Image!

Wrongo. Sometimes is about GETTING the image.  Many of the
best/world's most famous pictures were grainy atrocities that
the modern day pixel-peeper would gag on.  But the photographer
"got the shot"--as imperfect as it may be.  Probably my favorite
example is the picture of Robert Kennedy after he was shot. The
negative was so thin that it took hours for the darkroom
technician to work his magic and using skill/tool in the book.
The grain and densities of the image are all wrong--but the
photograph is the definitive image from that tragedy.

Clean pixels are only ONE factor in considering a camera system.
 If it was "all about the image" everybody would be shooting 4x5
or 8x10.

I consider your particular choice in 3rd-party digital backs to
have an outstanding imaging system as well as a very decent AF
system.  It's even quite responsive.  But, unfortunately, it
lacks that special "something"...the intangible...which stands
in the way for some of us.  Or, it might not necessarily "stand
in the way", but it doesn't become an enhancement to the
personal vision.  My OM gear causes me to see the scene
differently than other cameras do.  Part of it is familiarity,
but part of it is that you see things in another dimension than
what may be "reality".

Conversely, for you, this particular 3rd-party digital back has
openned up photographic opportunities that have been hidden or
denied to you with other systems.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com