[OM] Re: OT Computer monitor question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Computer monitor question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 06:49:14 -0400

Bart Wientjes wrote:

  So I use two
> PC's: one with a CRT (20" Sony Triniton with a Silicon Graphics label, 10 ?
> years old) and a Matrox Milennium G400 card. The second is equipped with
> an TFT (17" EIZO, 4 years old) and an ATI Radeon 9600.
>
> Currently, both my screens start decaying a bit. The CRT is not as sharp as
> I'd like it to be (reading text can be fatiguing) and the TFT is starting to
> show problems with the backlight. All in all, I'm considering my upgrade
> options, and some questions arise. Perhaps some of you good folks can
> provide an answer, share an opinion or a word of advice.
>
> Have the TFTs surpassed the CRTs completely?

Doesn't matter.  You can't buy a good CRT anymore.

> Are all graphics card equally capable for means of running PS and the likes?
> Currently everything is at 1280x1024 resolution, but I'd like to have more,
> so an 20" screen is likely to appear on my wishlist sometimes. What are the
> recommended for a TFT that lets me do some decent editing and viewing? Any
> recommendations for brands or models?
> By what means can I check if my current screens are still any good? I don't
> have colour calibration hardware.

You should have some color calibration hardware.  But you don't need it
to check your CRT.  At 10 years old it's probably well past its prime.
I think a good useful life is about 6 years.  The EIZO at 4 years may
still be good.  I think the TFT's have longer life than CRT's.

Here's the bad news on monitors.  A good TFT is still a lot more
expensive than a good CRT.
<http://www.shootsmarter.com/monitorcentral.html>

(You can get directly to the page above but you will have to sign up
with smartshooter.com to be able to access the detail links on the page.
  Recommended.  You get a monthly newsletter by email with some good
photo tips and a class schedule for courses they teach)

Chuck Norcutt