[OM] Re: Value of 24 & 35 shifts, 18/3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Value of 24 & 35 shifts, 18/3.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:26:12 -0700
Rob Harrison wrote:
> I¹m shipping these lenses of mine to Sean Reid for testing on the 5D,
> wondering about their current values to properly insure the package. I¹d
> guess:
>
> 24 shift - $1,500
> 35 shift - $500
> 18/3.5 - $600
>
> All mint. That sound about right?

Sounds a little low for the 18/3.5 I don't know about the others.

There has been a LOT of testing of WA lenses of various brands by the
Canyon FF crowd. Here's one with the Zuiko 18/35
<http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/18mm_testb.html>

You can noodle around the links to find many other tests, including a
planned test of the 24 shift.

Testing is such an interesting and complex endeavor. Mike's tests simply
show how the three lenses compare in different areas of the frame. Gary
came to the same conclusion but added a judgment of how those
differences come together when viewing the image as a whole.

"lens design emphasizes outer zones at expense of center image zone (which
gives a sharper overall impression of an image)"

Moose