[OM] Re: Opinions? 28-90 F2.8-3.5 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO?

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions? 28-90 F2.8-3.5 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO?
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:34:25 -0700
ScottGee1 wrote:
> I can buy one of these for an attractive price, but can't recall much
> about its optical quality.  It's a pretty big honker for sure.  Of
> course it has an OM mount!
>
> The other candidate is the Tamron SP 28-80 F3.5-4.2 CF MACRO which has
> the advantage of being a two-touch and NOT varifocal.

I'm the reverse of Moose, have the Vivitar, but not the Tamron.

It is sharp, the varifocal doesn't bother me (I work slow and miss all the
action shots).  In this instance, I do like the close focusing at the short end
when doing closeup of flowers and trying to get more background in.  There is a
huge problem with filters and vignetting at the wide end.  I've got some real
nice shots with it and some ruined shots because of the vignette with filters /
shades.  I've even put my Tokina 17mm tulip shade on it and have problems on the
wide end.  I have a Kiron of the same general design and like the Vivitar more
because it will focus much closer.  From your statement that a one touch and
varifocal seem to be a negative, the Tamron would probably suit you better.

Jay