[OM] Re: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:45:06 -0700
priit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a Vivitar 28/2 which appears to be suspiciously similar to the
> matching Kiron lens. Judging by pictures, the appearance is identical,
> except for the lettering. Also, my lens has a serial number starting with
> "22", which hints at being manufactured by Kino/Kiron - something I found
> from the OM-list archives.

Almost certainly a Kiron made lens. Vivitar was never a manufacturer and
Kiron made several of their more famous lenses.
> Now, I have two problems with this lens which I haven't seen mentioned
> elsewhere. I wonder if these issues are related to my particular specimen,
> as the Kiron seems to have a good reputation, would be great if anyone who
> owns the lens or has used one could shed some light on this.
>
> 1.) the performance is terrible at f/2. Yes, one would expect it to be so
> to some extent, and I have no scientific data to show, just my impression.
> But it looks to be beyond generally usable, and definitely worse than the
> other lenses I have, at any aperture. It improves when stopping down, but
> that sort of defeats the purpose of using the lens in favour of something
> slower.

Gary tested the Kiron 28/2
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>. It was less
than stellar at f2, but C+ isn't 'that' bad. And it tested as absolutely
first rate from f2.8 on.
> 2.) the mechanical quality is poor - not rigid enough. When attached to a
> body, the front part of lens has some slack, so that the projected image
> on the focusing screen moves when touching the lens (such as when
> focusing). I'm not a lens expert but this does not agree with my
> understanding of what "precision optics" means.

It sounds to me like something is loose inside, which would account for
both symptoms. I've owned several Kirons, both under their own label and
as Vivitars, and all have been solid as a rock (and similarly heavy).
Kiron never made anything like second tier models, all their lenses were
premium quality and price, so anything wobbly is almost certainly
because something has come loose or been broken.

These are all rather old lenses by now and who knows what they have been
through. One of my favorites is a 28-210. On its first roll, exposure
was all over the place. Physical inspection revealed that the aperture
stop down lever had been bent sideways so it didn't mesh with the camera
body. Gentle persuasion fixed that.

Moose