[OM] Re: OT - electric car

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - electric car
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT)
> It's the same boondoggle as with ethanol: consumes more energy
> than it saves....

Um, well, not quite.  Sorry, I've got to disagree with you on
that one.  The numbers used by the opponants are a little biased
and also discount that byproducts of the process are used for
feed.  Also, they suppose average per-acre production rates of
states like Wyoming and not of the primary corn production
states like Iowa, Illinois and Indiana where the per-acre rate
is the stuff legends are made of.  That said, there is a
chicken-egg operation about 12 miles from where I work that
sucks up almost every kernal of corn for about 2500 Square
miles.  That matches and exceeds any ethanol plant in the state.
There is one hog operation upstate that absorbs even more. The
small mom-and-pop farms are producing 20,000+ hogs per year.

Just to illustrate the production rates, there are farms right
around here that this year are planting corn in 8" rows.  (plant
density is 2") Expected yields (as we enter harvest season) on
some of these pilot farms is looking between 400-500 per acre.
We won't talk about the chemicals needed for that kind of
production though.

If you used the same numbers to justify your opposition to
ethanol, you'd probably have to pay $5 per dozen eggs and $15
per pound for beef or pork.

AG-living in Iowa-Schnozz

http://mail.yahoo.com