[OM] Re: OT - electric car

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - electric car
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:09:47 -0500

> Oh!  I thought that, with particulate filters, diesels had less
> emission problem than petrol ...
>
> Chris
> On 26 Sep 2006, at 19:34, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
>> None are being sold in California or in several other states that
>> have adopted California standards because of the emissions
>> requirements. Right now diesel fuel costs substantially more than
>> gasoline.
That SHOULD change. Sometime after October 1st, the new clean fuels act
requires good diesel fuel everywhere. Our diesel fuel has been relatively
high in sulfur. When Mercedes brought over one of their european diesels for
a cost of operation demonstration, they also shipped over a tanker of your
diesel fuel, as ours chokes up the newer engines.

The problems should be over, as this takes effect. The refinery changes are
substantial in cost (hindreds of millions for a small refinery), and that;s
why the cost will probably remain high for some time. Still, at the higher
cost, it is still cheaper to own and operate a Volkswagen diesel than a
Prius, according to an Autoweek test.

I have driven a diesel in Italy, as have several of my friends, and we agree
that they are very different than diesels over here. I think wee have a lot
to learn.

Bill Pearce