[OM] Re: Looking for an inexpensive general purpose digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking for an inexpensive general purpose digital
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:37:52 -0700
I might argue sometimes with the subjective ratings on dpreview, but
it is harder to argue with the objective measurements. The Ricoh kind
of has the dull, funky look of an old Minox and what looks like a
great lens. The noisy sensor does not even come close to the Sony
sensors used in Canons, Olys and Nikon Coolpixes though. I looked
quickly at some pix on pbase and even in the small sizes saw blown
highlights and purple fringing. Many images looked like they had
noise reduction clumsily applied. I would have to come down on the
Moose side in this one. Noise free high ISO trumps a fast lens on
this one, at least for me.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA