[OM] The end of the world as we know it--part 400.

Subject: [OM] The end of the world as we know it--part 400.
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:51:12 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I'm about to succomb to the siren song of the BXTPDB. Like
I said previously, it strictly has to do with pixel-count.

What to do?

My E-1 is still the most outstanding portrait/wedding/event
camera as it has enough pixels, it's ultra quiet, rugged,
reliable, pro-looking, gives awesome skintones, and has the
scrunched format that nearly matches standard print sizes.  But
for stock and art-photography, it's lacking pixel count.  Even
for the Behind-the-sofa-36x60"-family-portrait" it's kinda
stuffed. Since stock photography is a revenue-stream for me,
I've got to protect that revenue-stream.

I've looked at the E-300, E-500 and E-330 and each of them are
ergonomic disasters in my book. The viewfinders are rot.  The
shutter is clacky, and the overall speed-performance just isn't
there. Also, I will admit, for art photography, wider is better.
I compared the E-500 to the *gag* 350D and WITH THE GRIP the
350D was more comfortable.

Ok, look at my requirements:

1. Pixel-Count.  10MP is minimum. Period. No if-ands-or-butts.
2. Must take existing Zuikos.  This narrows the field...
3. Can't put my hands to sleep.  Important, but the goal is to
have a good tripod camera.  But a vertical battery grip would be
nice.  Hello, Olympus?  E-330, E-500?
4. Cheap.  I'm looking for a temporary measure.
5. Self-cleaning sensor would be very nice.

With the above listed requirements, this narrows things down to
not much.  I've been wanting to scarf up a used 1Ds, but they
are still too expensive and they come with other baggage issues.

Heaven help us.  I'm looking at the 400Xti.  The specs are there
and with the battery grip, it's somewhat usable.  If the 30D had
10mp, I'd probably go that direction, but the 400Xti is probably
good for a short while.  If I get one of the first ones, I
should be able to run it for nearly a year and Ebay it without
losing much if any money on it.

Why the change of heart?

I'm going on the perspective that it's just a Brand-X,
Third-Party Digital Back for my Zuikos.  That's all.  I've owned
several outstanding Brand-X, Third-Party Lenses for my cameras,
so it's just that I'm looking at the reverse-side of the mount.

Like I said before, the E-400 would have found an instant home
in my camera bag. Olympus-America's decision to not import it is
a guaranteed loss of one sale to me. I was planning on a
purchase this fall/winter and I'm being forced BY OLYMPUS to go
elsewhere.

The E-3 mockup is a sick joke. This piece-of-wood is something
they've had laying around for three years and is actually
probably one of the E-1 alternative mockups. They know exactly
where they are going and what they will introduce, but to not
throw a stick that means something, they haul out this
espianage-proof slug so they wouldn't have to field questions
from every person at Photokina about the E-1 replacement.  It
might be two weeks or two months or two years before they
actually introduce the real camera.  Meanwhile, I can't wait.
The E-400 would have been a fine stop-gap for me, but Olympus
America is screwing that one up.  Seven years ago, I waited for
many months for a promised job to materialize. It never happened
and we exhausted our entire savings and maxed out every
credit-card staying afloat during that time. I refuse to be
caught by Olympus in the same situation--"Just wait, you'll
really like it--we can't tell you what it is though".

I doubt there are many people more "true-blue" than me.  I bleed
Olympus as my Isle Royale cohorts can testify.  Nobody has
railed against the big C on this list more than me. Why has it
come down to this?  Is this the end of the world as we know it?
I need the pixels and I need a certain level of usability. Can I
do this without gagging?  Will the children go hiding in their
closets?  Will the dog run away?  Will my s*x life change?

Pressing questions, for sure.  But the reality is, this could be
the start of the end for one extremely loyal Olympus User. I
really don't want to do this, but I'm being forced to.

AG-Moose stop your gloating-Schnozz

http://mail.yahoo.com