[OM] Re: Tokina/Kiron/Zuiko 28mm test, was: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina/Kiron/Zuiko 28mm test, was: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions
From: "Paul Martinez" <pdmphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:28:51 -0700
I've found the Zuiko 28/2.8 to be the worst of the Zuiko 28's. I've tried
them all on my FF Kodak SLR/c and found the /2 and /3.5 to be much better.
Also, becuase many Zuiko's are old and out of adjustment, no solid
conclusion should be made from a single sample. A good performing Zuiko 28/2
will blow away any zoom lens on a FF DSLR in the corners, even at f/8.

Other things also need to be considered, like the adapter you used and how
you focused. The 28mm primes (including the Zeiss and Leica's) are very
picky about what adapter you use on them. A poorly matched adapter will give
poor results. It is often not as critical on a zoom lens at 28mm because
they are much steeper retro-focus design at 28mm. For focus stopped down,
leaning much more than you would think resonable to the infinity mark will
give much better corner performance and DOF. Odd, but true. This has been
discussed on FredMiranda, and everyone who's tested (including myself) has
came to this same conclusion.

Paul