[OM] Re: QA310 modification and trivia

Subject: [OM] Re: QA310 modification and trivia
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck,
     The really old Metz's with the Pb wet cell pack and mechanical vibrator
invertors ran 250v+.
I used some at the medical school/hospital, I was working at in the 70's but
they were probably
60's vintage. The somewhat similar Japanese Minicam also.  The old Sunpack
Ringflash with small
hip battery pack (early 70's?) also ran well over 200v. The popular pro model
Sunpak Autozoom 5000
aka 611 in the US, (1980's and maybe even into 90's), has over 220V on the
household sync
connector. I think the remote sensor hot shoe adapter for that unit is low?.
The 611's are the
most ruggedly constructed of all the Sunpak units to this day. They still sell
used on Keh, but
often have the battery door missing and are then available for next to nothing.
Since you can use
them with Quantums, either Turbo or non turbo or Sunpak's own TRpack, it is a
good way of getting
a very reliable high duty cycle flash for peanuts. Their follow on high power
model the 622pro
,still in production, is not half as well made or reliable, but is very
flexible with ~5 different
heads and a low voltage trigger.

Tim Hughes