[OM] Re: Hijack...Re: New Portra pro film line from Koduck

Subject: [OM] Re: Hijack...Re: New Portra pro film line from Koduck
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:54:31 -0400
I'm not confused at all.  I think it's simply a matter of perspective
and usage expectations from two completely different users.  After
reading Askey/Joinson (Joinson did this review) and Reichmann for years
you discover that dpreview covers the camera as they expect an average
guy to use it, ie; shooting JPEG's and accepting the images as they come
out of the camera.  Reichmann is less concerned about the additional
work required to get acceptable images above ISO 100.

Both found that ISO 200 and 400 were basically not usable without post
processing.  After reviewing the test images at dpreview I agree that
ISO 200 is definitely Noise Ninja territory and ISO 400 will require
help from a good raw processing engine first.  But you don't get that in
the box from Panasonice.  Even Reichmann agrees that the supplied
software is unusable.  In other words, getting an acceptable ISO 400
image requires that you own third party raw procssing and noise
reduction software and also that you use it.

Joinson thinks the *need* to do post processing above ISO 100 is
unforgivable given the sensor performance of the comptition.  It simply
shouldn't be as bad as it is.  Reichmann, as a pro with all the tools,
is willing to put up with the higher ISO hassles to be able to enjoy the
other aspects of the camera.

If you're willing to post process everything above ISO 100 have at it.

Chuck Norcutt