[OM] Re: B&W chemistry and septic systems?

Subject: [OM] Re: B&W chemistry and septic systems?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:03:21 -0700 (PDT)
> But  if there's a creek close enough to reach with a hose...

This has been something asked a million times on the various B&W
lists I've been part of.  As a general rule, Ilford chemicals
are septic-safe. Just combine everything together at once and
let them go down the drain.  Silver removal out of the hypo is a
good thing regardless--it helps to keep it usable longer.

Specialty chemicals are another story. Selenium toner and septic
systems don't mix.

We had a wierd photography/graphics professor in college that
illustrated the safety of today's Ilford chemistry by drinking
it.  I suppose that takes care of the disposal issues.

Hey, Bill. You know who you need to ask this question to?
Gordon.  If he doesn't know, NOBODY knows.  He'd probably
suggest that it would be perfectly safe to dump it directly into
the stream, though, and give you the scientific reasons why it's
fine.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com