[OM] Re: kodachrome and film suggestions

Subject: [OM] Re: kodachrome and film suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:03:41 -0700
swisspace wrote:
> What with my E1 autofocus failing
Bummer, dude!
>  and all this talk of film, I promised
> myself that I  going to use my OM's more.......... I would
> like to move to another, I was thinking of starting with the 400VC, I
> tried Fuji years  ago and didn't like the colours, but I guess times
> have changed, so does anyone know of a recent comparison chart, I am no
> pro but would like the best quality allround film that is easy to scan.
> I think the new 400VC  would be  a  good starting point but maybe there
> is a fuji or other equivalent I should try. I know the various merits
> have been discussed on the list before, but to trawl through and find it
> would be tedious, especially such a quick comparison chart already exists.

I'm not sure you are asking the right questions. With color negative
film, the final result depends more on the processing, analog or digital
in whatever combination, than in the film itself.

I've tried it before things went digital. Take the same film to two
different processors, both Kodak, one "pro" and the other consumer, and
get back wildly different color balance, saturation, contrast, etc. Take
a VC film to the consumer processor and prepare to be mugged by the prints.

If you have a fixed, consistent process, you can indeed use different
films to get different looks. But what you get may not be what someone
else gets with a different process. So anyone else's sample results,
will not likely match what you will get. This is the big difference from
shooting slides and looking directly at them. Even when you scan, there
is the slide to compare and adjust to. With neg, there is no standard,
unless you introduce one. If you introduce standards with film
profiling, they will all give very, very close to the same results, even
with different lighting, if you profile them with that lighting.

So the more important of your questions may be how they scan. You'll
notice that was a significant part of Kodak's announcement of the new
Portras. You want a film that scans well, so grain is minimized, rather
than enhanced, for example. I know AG has posted his experiences with
scanning Fuji neg films, but I don't remember what he said.

If I were choosing a new standard neg film, I'd be shooting the same
wide range of subjects with two or three different films and comparing
the results of scanning them on my own equipment.

Moose