[OM] [OT]thoughts

Subject: [OM] [OT]thoughts
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:06:51 -0400
All of these posts expressing disappointment with Olympus, the lack of
an E-1 replacement, their perceived business practices, etc have made me
think of the past when I was a child.  I remember receiving a small
transistor radio as a gift from my father.  It was very special as my
father won it in a local golf tournament and chose to think of me
instead of himself when choosing from a group of winning prizes.   I
remember carrying it with me everywhere I went as it was magical to me.
  I took it to school one day to listen to news broadcasts of John
Glenn’s first flight into space and I fell asleep many nights with it on
my pillow listening to music on WLS, a local Chicago radio station.  I
don’t recall how many transistors it had though I don’t remember having
transistor envy or needing to replace it with new models having more.  I
wish I still had that radio today.

I’m looking at my E-1 at the moment and I have the same feeling toward
it as I did that transistor radio.  It’s magical.  With it I can capture
an image with the quality of an older 35mm film camera, download the
image to a computer and do processing that far surpasses what I could do
in a darkroom, instantly print on a home printer that cost under $200
and rival if not surpass what is printed in a pro lab.  Could I use more
megapixels?  Sure.  Could I use more or improved features?  Sure.  Do I
need them right now, this very moment?  No.  That’s not to say that
there are others that do since they use photography as their primary
means of support for themselves or their family.

But I for one am not going to be sold the idea that I need more
megapixels, Mhz, Ghz gigabytes, the latest features in a cell phone, a
bigger TV screen or the latest software updates to be content.  This is
madness.  No wonder I tend to get lost in the woods more and more as
time passes.  One might think that I choose not to live in the “real
world.”  I don’t... I gave it up more than 12 years ago when everything
in my world of illusion came crashing down... too long of a story to
bother any of you with.

There have been reports of a mountain lion up in the area where I do
quite a bit of hiking.  I guess in a way I’m a bit foolish as I don’t
carry a firearm or weapon of any kind and even though I’m very fond of
cats, a mountain lion is a bit cat.  But somehow I feel if I ever had a
run in with that creature, at least it would be "real."  If I was
attacked I would know that either the cat felt threatened or was hungry,
not because of maliciousness, manipulation, lies, deceit or because his
concept of God or invisible friend was different from mine.

I’m not quite sure what my point is any more since I have just rambled
on though I do feel maybe some of you just need to lighten up. :)

Richard L