[OM] Re: Whither Khen?

Subject: [OM] Re: Whither Khen?
From: Stephen Walker <stephenpwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with Khen here.  I doubt Sony is even shooting for Olympus, because if
they take even a small bite out of Canon's (or to a lesser exent Nikon's)
marketshare in DSLRs, they will have a larger piece of the pie than if they
took a large bite out of Oly's market.

A good portion of Canon's market is made because of the huge presense of their
brand in the marketplace. I think that someone who knows _nothing_ about
cameras is probably more likely to buy a Canon than any other brand.  This
isn't to say that they don't make great products, but it's an indication that
their brand is so huge it's practically a household word even amoungst the
non-photographic crowd.  Sony has that same power in the marketplace.  The Sony
DSLR was on the shelves of every major electronics store in the USA on the day
of its release.  Olympus had to wait months if not over a year to get to get a
DSLR on the shelves at even some of the big box retailers here in the US.