[OM] Re: Interview with Watanabe Akira, Olympus DSRL development Manager

Subject: [OM] Re: Interview with Watanabe Akira, Olympus DSRL development Manager
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 00:50:01 -0700
Not necessarily. I think generally you are right, but Nikon is
notorious for being really bad at marketing their own products and
features. For instance Canon has been so effective at marketing their
"Digic" processor that many Canon owners think that such a processor
is something that only Canon cameras have. Olympus has, like some
other manufacturers, named their in-camera processor as well and
promote it as the "TruePic Turbo". Of course every Nikon has a
similar processor, but they have not named it, nor do they talk about
it. Olympus made a lot of noise about the need for lenses designed
for digital as if they invented the idea when Nikon had already
brought such lenses to market without saying much about it. The D1X
had odd rectangular pixels so that that only one dimension was native
and the other had to be resized in the conversion. In the raw
conversion you could pick either a 5 megapixel image or a 10
megapixel image, either one with one dimension native and the other
interpolated. Nikon never said anything about it and thus it was
never picked up in reviews, but someone like Fujifilm trumpeted their
S2 as a 12 MP camera. Later Fuji acquired a little restraint in
subsequent models. People who used it agreed that the real resolution
of the 1DX at the upper resize was roughly equivalent to 8MP(about
the same as the upper real resolution of the Fuji), at a time when
6MP was the upper limit for everyone else. You probably did not hear
about it though.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA