[OM] Re: Some pictures...

Subject: [OM] Re: Some pictures...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 02:28:17 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> It's been a long time since I haven't proposed some pictures to this list
> sharp eye and sharper tongue, so here are 3 samples of my vacations attempts.
>
> The first, I put it because I truly like it :
> http://perso.orange.fr/m-viet/23-gwenig.jpg
> too bad, it came out of a *gasp* canon ql17 (40mm, 1.7) ; apx 100, rodinal.

Such a vintage look! The composition is something I would never see, and
I don't think it would work well in color or a very sharp image. But in
the 1940-50s, slightly soft anastigmat lens on 6x7 film look, it's very
nice. Makes me feel nostalgic even with no referents or knowledge of the
subject.
> The others are from an OM-1md, 135/3.5 (silver nose, of course), apx 100,
> rodinal :
> http://perso.orange.fr/m-viet/24-enora.jpg
> http://perso.orange.fr/m-viet/25-m2.jpg
>
> I don't do much portraits, so I was pleased to see those two coming out the
> way I intended them to be (mostly).

These capture the personalities of the subjects wonderfully, which is
the most important thing.

The bar of shadow across the face in M2 is technically unfortunate and
the busy dress in the background distracts the eye, but only a little
because of the strength of the expression on her face. I would try
toning down the background and bringing up the bar shadow a bit. All
technical nits picked on a very strong portrait.

Enora also captures a wonderful expression and body language. Picking
another nit, I would try easing the shadows in the eyes and corners of
the mouth a bit.

Thanks for the look.

Moose