[OM] Re: The plan emerges

Subject: [OM] Re: The plan emerges
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 14:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
> > BTW, my bruises FINALLY cleared up yesterday.
> >
> Will anyone sign up for a new adventure before the whole story
> of the last one is told? :-)

OK, OK. Since the bruises have finally healed, I suppose I can
tell the story.

We wanted to rent a boat to go island-hopping down Rock Harbor,
but due to an approaching cold-front they wouldn't rent the
boats out.  The wind and waves in the afternoon were supposed to
build.  However, they would rent us canoes on the Tobin Harbor
side.

Take a hint. If they won't rent you a powerboat, chances are
it's probably not a good idea to rent canoes.

Well, we go off and have a wonderful time canoeing down to the
west end of the Tobin Harbor and then take advantage of the
breeze the move us quickly back down the other way.  We decided
to go up to Lookout Louise, which had a boat landing about
one-mile from where we needed to return the canoes to by
nightfall.  The hike up to Lookout Louise was beautiful (and
highly recommended). The view overlooking Duncan Bay brought a
bit of terror to my heart--the wind had picked up and there were
whitecaps. Uh oh.

By the time we made it back to the Canoes, the wind was gusting
25-30 MPH.  The wind and waves were oriented perfectly down the
lenght of the harbor and there are no places to get out of it.
Unfortunately we had a mile of torture to go through. As hard as
we could paddle, we were barely making ANY progress.  The
decision was made to cut across the harbor where we were at and
then either park the canoes or walk them down the shoreline.
The crossing was NOT a good thing.  We ended up with quite a bit
of water in the canoes and my bag got quite soaked.  I am so
thankful that neither canoe capsized in the rough water.

Once we made it to shore, I sent Bill and Gordon on their way on
the trail while Joel and I proceeded to float the canoes back.
The wind and waves were attrocious. In hindsight, we should have
just beached them and come back for them the next day.  At some
point I slipped on a rock or log and fell backwards into the
water. My lower back/hip landed on something and I pretty well
had the wind knocked out of me. My bruise was about the size of
a football and just finally cleared. Soreness there still
remains, though.

Other than that, it was a fun day.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com