[OM] Re: Whither Khen?

Subject: [OM] Re: Whither Khen?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:09:26 -0700
I think they could have designed the lens, but the message was just
marketing. It is just that the world did not need proof. The world
was already doing it. To my knowledge the first redesigned
telecentric lens to minimize aberrations for digital was the Nikon
17-35/2.8 in 1999. It was designed for the D1. The second was the
Nikon 14/2.8 in May 2000. Let's see, the E-1 was announced in May
2001 and finally production models appeared in August 2003. Now
someone of a suspicious mind would wonder where they learned about
telecentricity, but I don't think it was an alien concept for any
company that designed and built lenses.

Incidentally Nikon did not find that a new mount was required to
design a lens with near parallel rays, just the same small size mount
as the original manual focus lenses for 35mm. And Canon found their
old autofocus mount more than adequate. Both makes support their
older manual focus lenses. But that is another argument about
supporting your existing customers.

The ultra wide angles are, I think, a matter of economics. Can you
build them and sell them with a reasonable profit. You are more
likely to be able to do that if you have a larger base of users that
include pros who know the difference and are willing to spend money
for more special purpose lenses.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA